Monday, February 21, 2011

Volder-mog's found a new home! Britain's ugliest cat wins over animal loving lawyer... Hog-warts and all

By DAILY MAIL REPORTER

Purrfectly happy: New owner Sarah Gaden with Charlie, who had both ears and his nose removed by vets to stop cancer spreading


An ugly cat who scared off potential owners because he looked too much like Harry Potter villain Lord Voldemort has finally found a new home.

Rescue-centre staff said 14-year-old Charlie's strange appearance scared people off. Vets had removed both his ears and nose in a bid to clear him of skin cancer.

Although the operation was a success, poor Charlie was left bearing an uncanny resemblance to the evil character played by Ralph Fiennes in the blockbuster films.

People were so put off, staff at The Blue Cross animal centre in Southampton, Hants, struggled to rehome him.

But things are now finally looking up for the ugly moggy - he's got a new owner after he won over the hearts of the nation.

Harry Potter fan Sarah Gaden was just one of thousands of people who fell in love with Charlie after reading his heart-wrenching story.


Cage days are over: Charlie will no longer have to peer wistfully out of a cage, now he has a proud new owner


And the 45-year-old property lawyer was the first one to contact the centre with an offer to take him under her wing.

Miss Gaden, who lives alone in Worthing, West Sussex, said it must have been magic that had brought her and Charlie together.

She explained: 'I had to have my cat, Tom, put down in January after 16 years together and I vowed I'd never have another.

'But fate or magic must have brought Charlie to me.

'When I read his heart-breaking story I fell in love with him immediately and was desperate to give him a loving home.

'I think the Harry Potter films are fantastic and I noticed the resemblance to Voldemort but it didn't put me off.


Dark Lord: Ralph Fiennes as the evil Lord Voldemort


'I didn't think he was ugly - he looked like he had character and he just needed someone to love and care for him.

'I knew I could give him a good home and he'd be such good company for me - my house had been so empty since Tom had died.

'I contacted the centre immediately after spotting Charlie's story and they responded the same day.

'I was delighted when they told me I was the first person to make an offer for him and asked if would like to come and meet him.

'It really was love at first sight. He may look at bit different but he's so friendly and I think he's beautiful.

'Charlie seems to be a bit of a celebrity now and it's a bit of a big responsibility giving him a new home.

'But I'm confident we're going to get on just fine. I'm going to make him feel welcome and loved.' Lara Alford, deputy manager at The Blue Cross adoption centre in Southampton, said she was delighted Charlie's story had had a happy ending.


Blue Cross animal welfare assistant Marie Loveridge (right) hands over the moggy to his new owner (left) in Southampton


She added: 'We were overwhelmed by the response we had after Charlie story's appeared.

'And we were inundated with hundreds of calls from people desperate to give him a new home.

'Sarah was the first one to pick up the phone and she sounded ideal. When she came to visit Charlie she fell in love with him immediately.

'After chatting to her and finding out about her lifestyle, it became clear she could give him everything he needs. We knew that he had found the perfect owner.

'It's lovely that Charlie's story has had a wonderful happy ending.'

Anyone who would like to find out more about adopting from The Blue Cross should ring 0300 790 9903 or visit the website www.bluecross.org.uk.

source: dailymail


Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Grants For Single Moms